Re: [Nmh-workers] date math

2014-12-17 06:30:27
Ken Hornstein writes:

For people who actually use dates (as Robert also pointed out), this
change destroys the point of using local TZ information in the header.
Otherwise, we would just normalize the date headers to UTC everywhere.

I could be persuaded to have the default display both (origin timezone
and local timezone, a la exmh).  Robert indicated he's be fine with
that, and that might keep everyone happy (or at least less grumpy).

I would like to respectfully remind people that, in my original request,
I did not have the sender's time zone.  I had the sender's employer's
hosted-email-company's computer-configuration's time zone, which was
UTC.

I cannot have any expectation that the date stamps in the email header
reflect anything immediately (that is, at a glance) useful to me -- it
may not be the sender's time zone, it may not be the recipient's time
zone.  It's just a time stamp in (effectively) a random time zone.

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie
hymie(_at_)lactose(_dot_)homelinux(_dot_)net