Re: [Nmh-workers] date math

2014-12-15 21:57:47
    Date:        Mon, 15 Dec 2014 21:47:23 -0500
    From:        Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>

  | Sigh.  Well, here's the thing ... popular vote at least captures what
  | the majority of people actually want.  Even Robert admitted, "There is no
  | one right answer".

That's fine, but there actually is a wrong answer - and that's losing
info with no easy way to recover it.   The recipient's local time is
always possible to compute from the original Date header (that's
what the proposal is that nmh do) - and obviously can be done by the
recipient manually.  The sender's timezone however is only in the
Date header (when it isn't just sent in UTC for no good reason) and
if nmh hides it, it is unrecoverable (without fiddling format files or
looking at the raw message.)

  | FWIW, I did try coming up with something like the existing (hidden) exmh
  | code, the best I could do is:
  |
  | %<(nodate{text})%{text}%|%(pretty{text})%(void(szone{text}))%<(eq 1)
  |
  | There is no way of getting the symbolic name of the local timezone out
  | because there's not a format escape which generates that.

That would not be a problem, it just serves as an indicator that the
time displayed is local time, it would be just as good to put the
string "Local" in there).

  | Also, if you just want to create that extra info if the timezone is
  | different from your local one,

Also not all that important - just avoids people asking why the time is
there twice (which that wouldn't do if the times are different).

  | I could be persuaded to have the default display both (origin timezone
  | and local timezone, a la exmh).  Robert indicated he's be fine with
  | that,

Yes, more information is good ...

  | Of course, that's just for show ... even Robert admitted
  | scan is a bit tougher.

Yes, scan is harder - there's no space to include too much info.

kre