Re: [Nmh-workers] Emails being tagged as spam -- NMH solution???

2015-03-01 02:57:51
[Just the "spacing" bit.  B-]

On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 11:19:06 +0000 Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk> sez:

Interesting observation.  I've always found it to be the
opposite and you're actually the first to have mentioned it.
At least for me, I find that having the text wrapped at odd
places, or not wrapped at all depending on the
terminal/software displaying it, is much more difficult.

I'm on the GNU groff mailing list, and there's the odd correspondent
there that runs their emails through nroff.  :-)  It also fully
justifies on a TTY, e.g.

    tr -dc 0-4a-c </dev/urandom | tr -s a-z \\n | sed 100q |
    nroff | grep .

Thankfully, man(1) has --nj that can be put into $MANOPT.  :-)

A larger space indicates to me a significant break, e.g. end of
sentence.  Lack of hyphenation means many spaces are becoming two in
your formatting, creating ugly rivers of whitespace.  These are a
problem in typesetting of proportional fonts fully justified;
fixed-width doesn't have a chance.  Subjective, I agree.

It also breaks vim's formatting of the `> ' quotes lines above, i.e. it
preserves the multiple spaces thinking they're significant.

Cheers, Ralph.

As a vote in the other (or perhaps "meh") direction, I've been
reading man pages long enough that fully-justified spacing
doesn't jump out at me anymore, unless it's *really* bad.

                                Bob