Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf has me Baffled.

2015-07-21 17:22:58

On 21 July 2015 at 15:11, "Martin G. McCormick"
<martin(_at_)server1(_dot_)shellworld(_dot_)net> wrote:

I am still trying to get the programs in nmh that talk to the
mail transport agent to send the message to msmtp so I set the
following lines in /etc/nmh/mts.conf:

mts: sendmail
     sendmail: /usr/local/bin/sendmail

      Okay, that is a bit of a hack. Since the only two types
of MTA one can call are smtp and sendmail, I thought I would get
sneaky and do the following:

ln -s /usr/bin/msmtp /usr/local/bin/sendmail

This should have forced all nmh applications using sendmail to
use the new link I had created.

I believe it still tried to use /usr/sbin/sendmail. There were
squawks in /var/log/exim4/mainlog that shouldn't have appeared
if it really had attempted to use msmtp. Also, there are logs
that msmtp creates and they don't become any larger.

Hi Martin,

I've used Postfix instead of Sendmail for years now.  Postfix
listens on the smtp port.  In mts.conf I have "mts: smtp" and all
is fine.

I know nothing about your MTA.  Does it listen to the SMTP port?
Or, does one have to call the executable?  What do you get when
you try "telnet yourhostname 25"?  I get

telnet mailhost 25
Trying 192.168.1.3...
Connected to mailhost (192.168.1.3).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mailhost ESMTP Postfix (2.3.6)

For what it's worth, the postfix RPM package installation process
on one system I have made these links.

/usr/sbin/sendmail -> /etc/alternatives/sendmail-command

/etc/alternatives/sendmail-command -> /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix

At least one distribution was thinking of linking like you mention.

Cheerio....

--
Kevin