Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf has me Baffled.

2015-07-27 19:10:00
Thus said Ken Hornstein on Sat, 25 Jul 2015 00:57:45 -0400:

In theory, I'm with you on that; it would be easier. It's just that a)
most MUAs don't even have the option  to submit to sendmail and b) the
MTAs I'm  used to are  very complicated, so  they have lots  of knobs;
it's hard to drill down in the documentation to find the bits you care
about.

I'm not sure  what ``most MUAs'' represents, but perhaps  this refers to
Outlook and Thunderbird (and other ``popular'' UI oriented MUAs)? If so,
don't most  of these MUAs  have an ``outbox''  which is actually  just a
local  mail queue  built  into the  MUA which  retries  delivery to  the
configured SMTP server?

Does nmh have a queue?

I've long thought that  /usr/sbin/sendmail (or /usr/lib/sendmail on some
systems) was widely used by most CLI oriented MUAs (mutt, mailx, etc...)
precisely because  they didn't have their  own queue. I could  be wrong.
:-)

If the  goal is  to make  nmh behave  more like  popular MUAs,  and work
independently of a properly configured MTA then, shouldn't nmh also have
a queue?

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 4000000055b6c849