Re: [Nmh-workers] mts.conf has me Baffled.

2015-07-25 00:05:21
Ken Hornstein writes:
- is really not all that hard,

Robert, I have to ask ... do you read all of the messages on this list?
I can completely understand if you don't ... but I do.  And I can tell
you that while there are a number of people, like yourself, who are
perfectly capabable of configuring their MTA, there's also a good number
of people who cannot, either from lack of knowledge or interest. nmh
should serve those people as well.  So when you say, "really not all
that hard", you're speaking as someone who's been in and out of the deep
levels of Unix for many decades.  That is not true of everyone (and I
hope it's not a nmh requirement).  For many people, yes, it is too hard.

It's certainly true that running a MTA can be hard. Some are easier than
others though; I use OpenSMTPD to relay to GMail, and the config is
five lines long:

listen on lo0
table aliases db:/etc/mail/aliases.db
table secrets db:/etc/mail/secrets.db
accept for local alias <aliases> deliver to mbox
accept from any for any relay via
tls+auth://label(_at_)smtp(_dot_)gmail(_dot_)com:587 auth <secrets> verify

And thus mail(1) works, you get retry, etc. Many people don't need a MTA,
but it's an option worth considering.

--
Anthony J. Bentley