Re: [Nmh-workers] repl doesn't like return address

2015-09-02 09:14:53
That means your From: (and my From:...) should not have been generated
anymore, because we have two unquoted words in front of the angle-addr?

Ralph didn't include the full RFC grammar, but here are the rules in
relatively plain English:

- A "modern" email address is an optional 'display-name' followed by an
  email address surrounded by angle brackets (<>).
- A 'display-name' is really a 'phrase'
- A 'phrase' is one or more 'word' (or an 'obs-phrase', obsolete phrase).
- A 'word' is either an 'atom' or 'quoted-string'
- An atom is one or more 'atext' characters.
- An 'atext' character is basically any printable US-ASCII character,
  EXCEPT one of ( ) < > [ ] : ; @ \ , . (this list is called 'specials')
- A 'quoted-string' is one or more printable US-ASCII characters surrounded
  by double quotes (there are rules for including a quote in a quoted-string)

So, using these rules, something like:

  Ken Hornstein <kenh@xxxx>

Is fine (because the characters in 'Ken Hornstein' are all part of atext).
Something like:

  Dr. Ken Hornstein <kenh@xxx>

Is NOT file, not only because I don't have a doctorate, but because the '.'
is not a valid character in atext.  It needs to be:

  "Dr. Ken Hornstein" <kenh@xxx>

Or it could be:

  "Dr." Ken Hornstein <kenh@xxx>

But the email addresses we all use here are valid.

(obs-phrase is an additional wrinkle, but that's another email).