Re: [Nmh-workers] problem compiling nmh 1.6 on linux gentoo

2015-11-29 10:11:20
Well, that did not work, it kept regenerating the file all over again, so I
emptied the directory and untarred the file and it worked.  I think my
mistake was doing a make clean, but you still might want to fix a bug.

Ah, you did a 'make clean' BEFORE building everything?  Okay, that makes
sense; our 'clean' target removes sbr/dtimep.c.  The comment in the
Makefile.am says:

## automake 1.12.6 on FreeBSD 9 needs the sbr/dtimep.c.

That was added by David Levine so 'make distcheck' succeeded.
Normally we don't expect anyone to run a 'make clean' after running
configure (I'm trying to figure out why you would want to do that).

However ... the resulting problem is not, I believe, our fault.

If you do a 'make clean' or otherwise remove sbr/dtimep.c, it is
generated by lex or flex (probably flex) that is shipped on _your_
system.  In your case, the resulting output was not able to be compiled
by the compiler that exists on your system.  I don't really see how we
could be expected to fix that, nor do I even know how we COULD fix that.
Personally I think it's rather unfriendly for a tool like lex/flex to
generate C99 comments, but clearly they didn't ask me.