Re: [Nmh-workers] Maybe time for a new release?

2016-03-09 14:33:37

Michael Richardson wrote:
Lyndon Nerenberg<lyndon(_at_)orthanc(_dot_)ca>  wrote:
     >>  So, each message has a (U?)UID?  Are the integers a subset of that?

     >  UIDs increase monotonically within a folder.  Sequence numbers are just
     >  the index number into the dynamic array that represents the current set
     >  of messages visible withing a folder. UIDs never change (for all
     >  practical purposes), whereas sequence numbers change all the time.

So, if we forbid "pack", we can have UIDs rather than sequence numbers?

we would also have to forbid sortm. i think that way lies madness, since UID's are often 7 and 8 digit numbers, bad for human consumption.

the earlier suggestion to maintain a mapping between message numbers as seen by the MH toolset and UID's seen by IMAP, makes sense to me. though for Maildir i don't know if there are UID's.

--
P Vixie