Re: [Nmh-workers] Sending Binary Attachments

2016-05-12 09:03:02
      Every umpteen odd years, I need to send somebody an audio
recording or some other binary attachment so the question is what
is the best way to do that under mh?

While every answer you've been given is correct, here's some slightly-more
detailed explanation (all of this assumes an up-to-date nmh).

The simplest way is to run the "attach" command at the WhatNow? prompt.
This will choose a MIME type and create an set of MIME parameters that
will be appropriate 95% of the time.

But all that "attach" really does is add the Attach: header to the
message; other programs take care of the magic.  You can also add the
Attach header directly to your message.  The arguments to the Attach
header are a single filename.  You can have multiple Attach: headers.
So really, think of the "attach" command and the "Attach" header as
doing the same thing, because they do.

The final way is to create mhbuild directives; see mhbuild(1) for more
detail.  This lets you specify the exact MIME structure of a message.
This gives you a great amount of control; the downside is you need to be
relatively knowledgable about MIME if you want to use this functionality
effectively.  Your question makes me think you probably don't really
want to use this; I only mention it for the sake of completeness.

So, in summary: use the "attach" command at WhatNow?, or the Attach:
header if you want to do something a little more intelligent (like
Paul Fox's script).