Re: [Nmh-workers] Sending Binary Attachments

2016-05-12 14:57:51
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:
The simplest way is to run the "attach" command at the WhatNow? prompt.
This will choose a MIME type and create an set of MIME parameters that
will be appropriate 95% of the time.

But all that "attach" really does is add the Attach: header to the
message; other programs take care of the magic.  You can also add the
Attach header directly to your message.  The arguments to the Attach
header are a single filename.  You can have multiple Attach: headers.
So really, think of the "attach" command and the "Attach" header as
doing the same thing, because they do.

The final way is to create mhbuild directives; see mhbuild(1) for more
detail.  This lets you specify the exact MIME structure of a message.
This gives you a great amount of control; the downside is you need to be
relatively knowledgable about MIME if you want to use this functionality
effectively.  Your question makes me think you probably don't really
want to use this; I only mention it for the sake of completeness.

So, in summary: use the "attach" command at WhatNow?, or the Attach:
header if you want to do something a little more intelligent (like
Paul Fox's script).

I'd like to thank everybody who provided an answer to this
question. As seldom as I need to send attachments, I was looking
for the easiest way to do this. Thanks for the help.

Martin McCormick