Re: [Nmh-workers] Sending Binary Attachments

2016-05-12 17:45:10
Not sure if this is a possible heads-up or just me running an old
version of MH ("comp -version" returns "comp -- nmh-1.5 [compiled
on batsu at Sat Dec 1 11:08:10 UTC 2012]"), but I use a large
value for -maxunencoded in my $HOME/.mh_profile to prevent MH
from base64-encoding my (100% 7-bit text) messages when they
include long lines.  Specifically:

     mhbuild: -maxunencoded 9999

This has not been a problem for me until I used the "attach"
option suggested by this thread:  when I then used "send" I get:

     What now? s
     mhbuild: -maxunencoded unknown

If this has been fixed in version 1.6, then my apologies for
noting this.

Otherwise, is this a possible bug?

Thanks!

                                Bob

On Thu, 12 May 2016 14:57:35 -0500 "Martin McCormick"
<martin(_dot_)m(_at_)suddenlink(_dot_)net> sez:

Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:
The simplest way is to run the "attach" command at the
WhatNow? prompt.  This will choose a MIME type and create an
set of MIME parameters that will be appropriate 95% of the
time.

But all that "attach" really does is add the Attach: header
to the message; other programs take care of the magic.  You
can also add the Attach header directly to your message.  The
arguments to the Attach header are a single filename.  You
can have multiple Attach: headers.  So really, think of the
"attach" command and the "Attach" header as doing the same
thing, because they do.

The final way is to create mhbuild directives; see mhbuild(1)
for more detail.  This lets you specify the exact MIME
structure of a message.  This gives you a great amount of
control; the downside is you need to be relatively
knowledgable about MIME if you want to use this functionality
effectively.  Your question makes me think you probably don't
really want to use this; I only mention it for the sake of
completeness.

So, in summary:  use the "attach" command at WhatNow?, or the
Attach: header if you want to do something a little more
intelligent (like Paul Fox's script).

I'd like to thank everybody who provided an answer to this
question.  As seldom as I need to send attachments, I was
looking for the easiest way to do this.  Thanks for the help.

Martin McCormick