Re: [Nmh-workers] specifying SMTP server in mts.conf broken by TLS certificate changes

2017-02-17 08:50:55
Ken Hornstein wrote:
The more subtle thing is apparently you can do something like:

-host "pop1.foo.com pop2.foo.com"

Yes that's an undocumented side-effect of the current code. I don't think
you need to worry especially about preserving it. ...unless someone is
either actually using it or thinks it'd be really useful?

I'm on the fence about that particular thing.  What do others think?

It occurs to me that the days of trying multiple servers in a MUA have
mostly disappeared; other MUAs I'm familiar with only permit one
server to be configured and redundancy is handled via DNS.

and that will try both of those servers in succession.  Since we need
to know the connecting hostname for both the the SSL certificate code
and the SASL code, this suggests to me that the right solution is:

- Move the MTS "servers" fallback code from client() into rclient()
  (since that's really just for SMTP).

That'd also involve moving your new code into rclient(), right?

Ummm ... no?  Just passing back the name of the server chosen by rclient
would be sufficient, I think, and a lot easier.