Re: [Nmh-workers] [patch] filtering support for inc

2017-07-16 21:56:55
Ken Hornstein writes:
The hooks cover everything so that one can keep track of what message exist
and where they are.  The work for me, but I don't use all of the gritty nmh
features so there might be bugs for some complex cases.  Consider it like
the attachment handling which went for more than a decade before someone
took issue with it :-)  They could certainly be made more robust.

Well, yes, buuuttt ... we never sat down and said what a hook can and
can't do.  Like, can the "add" hook move a message to another folder?  I
don't think it can, since it's probably called with the folder sequence
locked; that might prevent you from moving the message to another
folder.  So you probably can't use them for filtering, at least as
people normally intend it.  Clearly you just intended it to do external
indexing; that's fine, but it's important to understand the limitations.

--Ken

Well, I seem to recall that there was documentation :-)  My recollection is
that there are 3 hooks, add, delete, and refile.  And as I said earlier, they
could certainly be made more robust.  Maybe it's time to start a discussion.
From my perspective, what I need is to know what messages exist by folder and
message number.  My use case was to have an external database associated with
the mh database.  What do other people want?

Jon