Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.7's `make clean' is Overzealous.

2017-12-08 07:02:47
Ken wrote:

[David]
Different support for libexecdir and sysconfdir is confusing, I
think.  And I see no reason for it.

Well, fair enough ... but at least one package you mentioned (sudo)
seems to do exactly that.

sudo doesn't do that, because it doesn't use .../etc/sudo/

They install files in $(libexecdir)/sudo and $(sysconfdir).

Right, sudo doesn't use $(sysconfdir)/sudo (I agree with them that 2
isn't a "large number").  So there is no need to override a
$(sysconfdir)/sudo at configure time.

I don't see why sysconfdir should be any different than libexecdir.

Well, there is precedent there with at least one package;

sudo can't be used as precedent here, because it doesn't use
$sysconfdir/sudo

But ... what about a compromise?  Like I suggested before, we could
define a precious variable (call it "nmhsysconfdir") and by default
make it be "${sysconfdir}/nmh".

Makefile.am currently has:

nmhetcdir  = @sysconfdir@/nmh
nmhlibexecdir = @libexecdir@/nmh

If you want to tweak things so that they can be overridden at configure
time, great.  But I think that we should retain the current default
behavior.

David

--
Nmh-workers