Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.7's `make clean' is Overzealous.

2017-12-08 19:19:17
Hi Ken,

Makefile.am currently has:

    nmhetcdir  = @sysconfdir@/nmh
    nmhlibexecdir = @libexecdir@/nmh

BTW, Makefile here has

    pkgdatadir = $(datadir)/nmh
    pkgincludedir = $(includedir)/nmh
    pkglibdir = $(libdir)/nmh
    pkglibexecdir = $(libexecdir)/nmh

so maybe our own nmhlibexecdir isn't required?

If you want to tweak things so that they can be overridden at
configure time, great.  But I think that we should retain the
current default behavior.

Alright, I'm fine with that.

I'm unclear on the resolution.  :-)

Summarising
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-Variables.html I
think the dependencies between variables are

    prefix
    exec_prefix     $(prefix)
    bindir          $(exec_prefix)/bin
    libexecdir      $(exec_prefix)/libexec  .../nmh (standard)
    sysconfdir      $(prefix)/etc           .../nmh (our choice)
    datarootdir     $(prefix)/share
    docdir          $(datarootdir)/doc      .../nmh (standard)

GNU is clear that if a grouping subdirectory is to be used then it's up
to us to add so the user can give the same path to us and other
packages.  I think our 34 in /etc means /etc/nmh should be used.

Final question: should such a change be in 1.7.1?  We had a user
complain about the behavior change in 1.7.

Steve also said he was happy editing the Makefile.  Given packagers will
have already adjusted for 1.7, and possibly before that in testing the
RCs, I don't think we should muck them about again so soon.  And 1.8
gives us a chance to audit everything's location, probably moving lots
out of /etc.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy