Re: [Nmh-workers] why does mhfixmsg dislike long text lines?

2018-01-24 19:07:12
Does the full path to mhn.defaults shown by "man mhfixmsg" match
/local/pkg/nmh/root-nmh-1.7/etc/mhn.defaults ?

Yes.

If it does, maybe run mhfixmsg under ltrace or something similar to see
exactly what file it's trying to open.

I used the strace command Ralph suggested (strace -fe open,openat), and
that solved it.

The problem was that I had a personal mhn.defaults file, and mhfixmsg was
reading that (which I expected) but then not reading the system version
(which I didn't expect -- I would have expected the system one to be
read first unconditionally, to be supplemented and/or overridden by the
personal file).

Ironically, the personal mhn.defaults in question isn't needed and
shouldn't have been there anyway; it's an artifact of the transition
I'm going through right now, from an older, about-to-be-decommissioned
server with nmh-1.6 to my desktop machine running 1.7.

With the personal mhn.defaults file deleted mhfixmsg works as expected
using the system version.

I thought Ken said the RFC 5322 limit was 998.  But...

Right.  He also noted that he's had problems with insertion of '!' in long
lines of HTML.

What about the idea of reformatting the text/html part to reduce the line
width?

Then -maxunencoded wouldn't be necessary.  Though I'm not sure if you're
talking about outgoing or incoming messages here.

I'm talking about incoming messages.

Is there a way to get mhfixmsg to decode the base64 and then run it through
tidy with a given set of command-line options?

Yes, via mhfixmsg-format-text/html.  See the mhfixmsg and mhshow man pages.

I did read those man pages, but perhaps I'm still failing to understand
parts of them.  I do know how mhfixmsg-format-text/html specifies the
command which generates the text/plain part from the text/html part, but
I don't see how to do that and also reformat the text/html part.

     - Steven
Steven Winikoff                | "If you have built castles in the air,
Concordia University           |  your work need not be lost; that is
Montreal, QC, Canada           |  where they should be.  Now put
Steven.Winikoff@concordia.ca   |  foundations under them."

--
Nmh-workers