Re: [Nmh-workers] Where are we at for 1.7.1?

2018-01-31 06:40:45
Hi Ken,

No, it does  not attempt the printf because ICONV_ENABLED=0

OK, so that's it:  the test doesn't handle that case properly.

This begs a larger question ... should we just specify iconv as a
requirement for the next release?

You're thinking those without it, e.g. Andy, could easily get iconv with
a package install?

I'm not sure it makes sense to have all of those #ifdef HAVE_ICONV
directives cluttering up the code,

Well, there's not too many, and a few of them could be simpler to
understand if they didn't try to thread through a function but instead
just got the no-iconv case over with by returning, leaving the rest in
the #else, even if it means a little duplication, e.g. the return
statement.

In theory we should be testing things without iconv support to catch
these problems, but I don't think that's worth the time.

I'm doing that.  I ./configure'd like normal and then s/1/0/ in Makefile
and config.h for HAVE_ICONV.  All went well with `make all', one test
was skipped with `make check', but one test failed in
test/mhshow/test-charset, and I'm not sure why.

2014's 497a047e3 did

    +test "$ICONV_ENABLED" -eq 0  &&  text_size=10  || text_size=11
    -[ part  - text/plain - bogus quoted-printable data  11B  ]
    +[ part  - text/plain - bogus quoted-printable data  ${text_size}B  ]

but doesn't explain why.  The test here runs with text_size=10 but `11B'
is printed; thus the failure.  The quoted-printable-decoded input is ten
bytes, including the linefeed.

    4 =F7 2 =3D 2

But the `=F7' becomes `c3 b7' causing the `11B';  here's the bytes in
hex.

    34 20 c3 b7 20 32 20 3d 20 32 0a

That's U+F7 encoded as UTF-8, as if the `charset=windows-1252' was
converted.  But how, without iconv?

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy