Re: [Nmh-workers] What OS/Architecture Do You Run nmh On?

2018-02-12 15:15:32

Ralph Corderoy wrote:
Hi Paul,

that's a knee-jerk reaction.

Very true.  A regurgitation of a long-held view.

bert hubert at powerdns found a subset he can live with, and ways to
enforce it. basically there are no operators overloaded and no
subclassing.

I've struggled to find something on this, e.g. a guide to contributing
to PowerDNS's source, or Bert talking about it.  I did find Orthodox C++
that has a list of other subsets at the end.
https://gist.github.com/bkaradzic/2e39896bc7d8c34e042b

i've asked bert for references, which i shall report back to here.

he wanted new(), and methods, and garbage collection.

GC as in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_pointer#Features ?
So analyse and switch from C pointers to the various C++ kinds?

i didn't even though about smart/unique/auto pointers. what i was thinking of is that one of the smartest people i ever worked with, was working on incremental generational mostly-copying garbage collection when C++ came out, and in 1989, wrote this:

www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/Compaq-DEC/WRL-TN-12.pdf

in 2009 or so, there was a battle royale about C++ GC in stackexchange:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/147130/why-doesnt-c-have-a-garbage-collector

so while the smart pointers you referenced in wikipedia appear to be a feature of C++11, the GC i was thinking about for C++ happened in 1989.

note: because valgrind finds hundreds of thousands of runtime anomalies in even a trivial libcurl application, and because the suppression file syntax for valgrind doesn't permit me to say "if it comes from libcurl just ignore it", i'm currently at wit's end in verifying my heap memory management in dnsdbq (https://github.com/dnsdb/dnsdbq). any ideas welcomed!

--
P Vixie

--
Nmh-workers