Re: [Nmh-workers] What OS/Architecture Do You Run nmh On?

2018-02-17 19:15:32
On Sat, 17 Feb 2018 19:53:05 -0500 Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com> wrote:
Ken Hornstein writes:

Paul has been nibbling around the edges of saying this, but I would
summarize his OVERALL point is that MH/nmh is used by a tiny, TINY
fraction of email users, the way people use email has been changing,
we're not keeping up, and this path isn't sustainable.  I know how
old _I_ am, and I'm a youngster compared to some of the other MH users
out there :-)

I think that maybe a few die-hards out there might still be happy with
nmh as their primary email reader, but I think that the best growth
opportunity for nmh is to be one of several tools you would use to
access your mailbox.  One of nmh's big weakness now is that you have to
suck your email into its mailstore and once you put it in the MH mailstore
not too many clients can get access to it (I am aware of some other
MUAs which claim to support the MH mailstore, but every one I have looked
at involves some compromises).  And when I say "growth", I just don't
mean more users (although that would be nice), but being MORE USEFUL
would sure be great.

I maintain a imap store (dovecot) as well as a separate MH store.
The first is useful mime friendly reading/writing email messages
but not great for much anything else. The second is not great
for reading/writing email but great for everything else.

I'd like to see both combined in one tool -- my fantasy is a
to have a CLI window in a GUI email client (a bit like the
command window in Autocad) where I can mix mh/shell commands
to select message, refile etc. as well have visual feedback of
selections and other notifications.  But even if such a client
existed, I wouldn't be surprised if no one else wants it.  GUI
only users don't usually like CLI. So this may not become a
"growth opportunity" for MH.

If/when I finish my mh-imap bridge, the two stores will have
to be synced and from then on they will remain in sync. My
goals are far more modest; just an imap client + mh server.  I
don't care about needing too many million inodes. And the way
to speed up pick/scan is to keep a cache of headers with some
indexing (so Pike's Prophecy is probably pertinent!).

As for providing our own IMAP server ... ugh.

Agree.

--
Nmh-workers