Re: [nmh-workers] nmh 1.7.1: both bcc and dcc broken for mts sendmail/pipe

2019-02-15 17:22:17
Hi kre,

Sending to you directly so you see a version that Mailman doesn't
touch.

That's not actually guaranteed, though it worked ...   I do mail
filtering that drops duiplicates, so which I see would depend uppn
which arrived first.

Good point.  I thought the list removed addresses in the headers from
the subscribers and sent to the rest, but I see that's a per-subscriber,
not per-list setting.

It is kind of interesting (and I'm sure there's a reason) that the
things I saw as A-caret (and you explained why) appeared in the
message I got back from the list as A-umlaut instead!

Yes, every round trip is interpreting a UTF-8 encoding as ISO 8859-1.

When I type the digraph A^ to get  you receive its UTF-8 encoding which
is 0xc3 0x82.  The first of those bytes in ISO 8859-1 is A" = Ä.
The second isn't mapped to a rune in ISO 8859-1, but Windows 1252,
AKA cp1252(7), thinks it's a low-9 quote, looking similar to a comma,
so you might see that instead.

    $ printf \\x82 | iconv -f cp1252 -t ucs-4le |
    > hexdump -ve '/4 "U+%04x\n"'
    U+201a

In Unicode, it's U+201A so I can enter that to get [‚], but you'll see
that as the three-byte UTF-8 encoding 0xe2 0x80 0x9a, perhaps a^ C= sv.

--
Cheers, Ralph.