Re: [nmh-workers] nmh 1.7.1: both bcc and dcc broken for mts sendmail/pipe

2019-02-15 10:42:18
    Date:        Fri, 15 Feb 2019 15:48:48 +0000
    From:        Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>

  | Sending to you directly so you see a version that Mailman doesn't touch.

That's not actually guaranteed, though it worked ...   I do mail
filtering that drops duiplicates, so which I see would depend uppn
which arrived first.

  | Yes, see `dict -d foldoc caret'.

Good to see I remember some things!    It is kind of interesting
(and I'm sure there's a reason) that the things I saw as A-caret
(and you explained why) appeared in the message I got back from the
list as A-umlaut instead!

  | I think that's because nmh knows the text has two bytes representing
  | each guillemet, and iconv(3) says it can't translate either of them,
  | Unicode U+00AB or U+00BB, to the C locale so nmh renders each two bytes
  | as a single `?' byte.

Yes, that is what I expected to have happened.

  | The UTF-8 encoding of U+00AB is 0xc2 0xab.
  | This is because [...]

Thanks, though I understand how to do UTF-8 (and undo it).   How
to use things that do it properly, to achieve the desired outcome,
is an entirely different matter.

  |     $ show | grep \\\\x |
  |     > tr -dc 0-9a-f | tr a-f A-F |
  |     > sed 's/.*/16i&0AP/' | dc

Produced exactly the right string.   (I can pattern match, I'd have
to get someone else to tell me what it says though!)

Before I deleted the ouout from this reply, all there was was another
mess...

kre