[nmh-workers] Office 365, redux

2019-05-14 19:58:44
If anyone is required to use Office 365 for their $DAYJOB but still wish
to use your favorite MUA, here's a quick recipe that worked for me and
might work for you.

- Download DavMail (http://davmail.sourceforge.net/) for your favorite
  operating system and start it.

- On the main Settings page, configure it to use the "O365 Interactive"
  Exchange Protocol (this may vary depending on your domain settings;
  that is what worked for me).

- Under the "Encryption" settings pane, under "Oauth authentication",
  under "ClientId" put in d3590ed6-52b3-4102-aeff-aad2292ab01c (the client
  ID for Microsoft Office) and urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob for the
  RedirectUri.  This step may not be required if your domain is configured
  to allow any application, or allows you to authorize specific clients.
  You can always try to ask your IT department to allow DavMail as a
  client, but I suspect they will refuse based on vague "security reasons".
  I will also note that the Client Id for Microsoft Office can be found
  on docs.microsoft.com.  Draw your own conclusions about the validity
  of the "security reasons".

- At this point DavMail should be running a POP server listening on
  localhost (by default port 1110), and you can test it out by running:

  msgchk -host localhost -port 1110 -user username@company.com -nosasl

  The password is not checked, so enter anything at the password prompt.

  At that point you should get a window on your desktop prompting you for
  whatever authentication is required for your Office 365 domain.  If
  your domain requires 2-factor authentication, you will enter it there.

- Assuming it all works, you should see something like:

username@company.com has 189 messages (7916492 bytes) on localhost

Configuring SMTP is left as an exercise to the reader, but it should be
obvious (the default SMTP local port is 1025).