Re: [nmh-workers] Formatting HTML to Text: netrik.

2019-06-27 12:02:31
Ralph Corderoy wrote in <20190627125114.70A39212A8@orac.inputplus.co.uk>:
 |Revisiting once again the issue of nice text from horrible HTML emails,
 |I found another textual web browser, like lynx(1), etc., but
 |http://netrik.sourceforge.net/ uses colour in its --dump output.
 |It doesn't list the URL destinations though, e.g. the noisy `[42]' that
 |links prefixes to the anchor's text.  I also haven't looked into what
 |remote accesses it may make.

You could try to take out the very simple and extremely primitive
HTML filter code of the MUA i maintain and embed it into nmh.  It
only uses standard POSIX C interfaces, so it should not be too
hard.  I do not use anything else for the few HTML things i get,
i have never seen it fail.  (I have test mails around which count
as terror of a pathological maniac.  The only one where i can see
some garbage is actually from the german computer magazine c't,
and it looks like

  [-- #1.2 1007/75296 text/html, quoted-printable, utf-8 --]

  96

  Silex: Neue Malware legt schlecht gesicherte Geräte im Internet of Things
still -------------------------------------------------- Die Malware Silex
kapert mit Default-Credentials IoT-Geräte, um sie
  lahmzulegen. Ihr 14-jähriger Entwickler handelt offenbar aus Spaß.
[%p(2,2)]» https://www.heise.de/security/meldung/Silex-Neue-Malware-legt-schlecht-gesicherte-Geraete-im-Internet-of-Things-still-
  4455677.html[%hr(=)]

Wherever "96", "%p(2,2)" and "%hr(=)" come from and whatever they
are, i never looked into this.  I only ever see this from these
guys.  But WWF, Naturschutzbund and Conversation work for years,
as well as some german shops, and Change.org and a lot of other
mails in the HTML test box do, too.
Guaranteed no loading of external data, anyway.

--steffen