Re: [nmh-workers] Formatting HTML to Text: netrik.

2019-06-27 14:59:50
In message <20190627125114.70A39212A8@orac.inputplus.co.uk>,
Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk> wrote:

Revisiting once again the issue of nice text from horrible HTML emails...

And here, all this time, I thought that it was just me!  I assumed
that I had just failed to read the documentation well enough or long
enough to work out some appropriate was of causing nmh to properly
render the (now prevalent) HTMLized and/or base64 encoded emails of
the modern era.

I had just sort-of jury-rigged my own very local and very idiosyncratic
mechanism for dealing with the problem/issue some years ago, and I have
been just trying to struggle along with it for all this time because
I just haven't had the time to find a proper fix... which I've always
assumed is burred in the documentation someplace.  But if there really
is no good solution in the case of nmh, then I guess that eventually...
and proabbly sooner rather than later... I'm going to have to switch
mail clients at long last, although I sure will miss some of the nicer
nmh features.

Quite simply, all I would wish for would be something that would -properly-
convert -both- HTMLized emails -and- "Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64"
emails (like this one I'm responding to) into good old fashioned ascii,
at least for purposes of the "show" and "repl" commands.  I have my
jury-rigged solution working adequately well for the base64 encoding
still, but only for the "show" command, which means that I have to do
some manual cutting-and-pasting when/if I want to reply to a base64
encoded email. :-(

Regards,
rfg