Re: [nmh-workers] Forwarding html email

2019-08-07 13:48:01
    Date:        Wed, 07 Aug 2019 12:37:52 -0400
    From:        Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com>

  | So, the REAL problem here is nmh (and MH) was written back when MIME
  | was barely a thing and MIME messages were the exception and not the norm.

MH was written back before the conceivable need for anything like MIME
was anything more than a futuristic dream (what exactly does one do with
a MIME message when one is using an ASR33, a DEcwriter 300, or even
an ADM-3a ?)

There were methods to allow files to be forwarded (uuencode, etc - but
even those way post date MH) when that was all that was needed, and for
their purpose, those worked just fine - not all that flexible, but adequate.

I think MH predated XEROX bit mapped displays (certainly before they were
copied by others (smalltalk and MH were probably roughly contemporaries),
and also predates the use of TVs as output devices for home class systems
(there were no have at home type personal computers of any kind when MH
first appeared.)   It won't be all that long until MH is 50 (it is already
in its 40's.)

What you say may be correct for nmh .. I don't remember just when that was
done (I kept using MH long after nmh existed) - but nmh initially was mostly
just a more modern implementation (code style, etc) of MH.

kre