Re: [nmh-workers] FSF is changing Mailman list settings unless you opt out (fwd)

2019-09-26 20:14:31
On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 12:36:41 -0400, Ken Hornstein said:

I received this email, and I wanted to pass it along.  The executive
summary is: in the near future subject lines to nmh-workers will no
longer be prefixed with "[nmh-workers]" and there won't be a footer
at the end of the message anyone saying that this is the nmh-workers

OK by me., my procmailrc already uses '*^(To:|cc:).*nmh-workers@nongnu.org'
so it won't bother my set-up.

mailing list.  You can read the details in the message for the complete
technical reasons why this is happening; the other option is to do
what is called "Munge From" and I personally think this is 100x worse

Amen to that. Listserv also adopted a Munge-from solution, and the users
rioted.  In particular, the users whose From: got munged were incensed,
because it makes 'reply from' very ugly and sometimes non-functional.

(For the backstory of why this matters - if a Yahoo user (as opposed to a
random non-Yahoo-using yahoo) sends a mail to a list, and the list modifies the
Subject: line, then when it gets to the final recipient, their MTA looks at it,
sees that Yahoo specifies very strict DMARC, which got borked by the change of
the Subject: line. If the recipient MTA does DMARC checking on receipt, it
potentially generates either a 5xx error inline or a bounce message that
eventually get back to Mailman/Listserv/ whatever list management software.

The end result is that if enough Yahoo users post to a list in a short time
period, then you have a flurry of *NON*-Yahoo users being mysteriously
unsubscribed from the list for no really immediately obvious reason.