Re: [nmh-workers] sendmail/pipe default config?

2019-10-20 10:29:39
az writes:

it's been that way since 2003 when somebody complained about
smtp as default (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=152729);

That issue was about submitting using smtpd versus directly to sendmail.
Using the nmh sendmail/smtp mts would invoke sendmail directly, as
requested, simply using the smtp protocol.

sendmail/pipe uses sendmail -t, which causes sendmail to read the
addresses from the draft.  Its sole purpose is to replace the obsolete and
undocumented mh spost.  I don't think that sendmail/pipe offers any
advantage here over sendmail/smtp, and has the disadvantage that
sendmail/pipe does not support Dcc:.

Re. sendmail/pipe, are these comments in post.c still valid?

   /* This won't work with MTS_SENDMAIL_PIPE. */
   verify_all_addresses (1, eai, envelope, oauth_flag, auth_svc);

as far as i can tell yes, because verify_all_addresses uses do_an_address
which
uses sm_wadr which talks smtp.

Right, so verify_all_addresses() does work when the user has specified
sendmail/pipe, though it uses sendmail/smtp, in effect, here.  I'll update
the comment.

personally i think spending any further effort on verifying addresses for
deliverability on the sending side is wasted because of how little
verification/guarantee it provides (see bugs section in man whom).

Good point.  I find "whom -check" to be useless or even misleading.

David