nmh-workers

Re: time delayed sending

2019-12-27 07:29:17
Hi Michael,

I find myself making todo notes for emails that I need to send after
Jan. 1.
I was thinking whether it was worth having some mechanism where I
would write an email, get it all ready to send (including GPG signing
it in mh-e), but keep in a numbered/dated draft directory and then
send it on the appropriate day.  I think that this would involve an
alternate post program; I haven't thought at all about how I'd control
that.

I occasionally do this by combing at(1) with mhmail(1) or send(1).
MH is designed to integrate with the Unix shell so instead of MH growing
features, I'd initially look more at combining cron(8) with a shell
script that sends email whose time has come.  Perhaps that's detected by
the name of the draft folder where they reside, or a header that's
--searched for with pick(1).

On a related (organizationally, but technically probably orthogonal) note, I
have been thinking that it would be nice if nmh supported responding to
Disposition-Notification-To: headers somehow.

What I also really want is to be able to mark an email as needing
responding to, and to keep the outgoing content in some list (a folder
with a -link to +outgoing) as having been not responded to.  If I keep
the outgoing email in my inbox, it kinda works, but then it clutters
my inbox :-)

Ideally, the acknowledgement to the Disposition-Notification-To would
get matched back to that email, but also any incoming
In-Reply-To/References would linked up.  Basically, I want TCP ACKs
for email.  It would also be nice if I could better link up bounce
messages so that stuff in my "Waiting for Others" list could bump back
up.

What do you mean by ‘bounce messages’?  I don't see how what I think of
as bounces would fit in.

--
Cheers, Ralph.