Re: Hiding one's email source username/hostname/ISP

2021-03-10 11:48:24
On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 11:34:21 -0500, Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com> wrote:

by putting the following entries in my mts.conf

localname: hobbeshollow.com
masquerade: draft_from mmailid username_extension

Just FYI ... we got rid of all masquerade support ... 9 years ago?
Definitely in nmh 1.4.  Now, we didn't get rid of the FUNCTIONALITY.
Basically there were all these bizarre rules around setting your "From"
header that you could use the masquerade entry to relax and we finally
agreed that was dumb, so we got rid of them and you can set your From
header to anything now.  That line isn't harming anything, but you can
safely remove it if your nmh is reasonably up to date.

Ken,

My nmh is 1.7, so reasonably current :-)

Since I created during the nmh/mh early days, I've not noticed the
masquerade support was incorporated.  the mts.conf file had served
me well for all these years, and I just migrate the same one from
upgrade to upgrade.
Since no longer necessary, I'll remove it!

Thanks!

jerry

The use of localname is fine; there are other ways to accomplish that,
but that's certainly one way of doing it.

     // Jerry Heyman               | The first law of economics is scarcity of
    //  Amigan Forever :-)         | resources.  First law of politics, ignore
\\ //   heymanj at acm dot org     | the first law of economics
 \X/                               | -- Thomas Sowell