Re: Hiding one's email source username/hostname/ISP

2021-03-14 12:21:08
On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 08:39:18 -0500 Jerry Heyman <jerry@hobbeshollow.com> sez:

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 06:53:34 -0500, David Levine <levinedl@acm.org> wrote:

Bob wrote:

I do see in the headers of your reply that the first "Received:"
header uses "HiddenHostname" ... but also the FQDM(?) of your

Oops, that should've been FQD_N_.  B-)

Verizon connection

FQDN, in this case for a dynamically assigned address so not
very useful to anyone other than Verizon.  Though they choose
to provide a geographic hint, and "fios", in the name.

Right.  I was hopeful that even that could be hidden.  For
example, if I use the Gmail web interface, the Received: headers
indicate that it came from Gmail itself (which makes sense).  I
was thinking it'd be useful to replicate that, even when I'm
actually sending it from my laptop _via_ the Gmail servers.

But:

So, while I could hide the hostname of my laptop, I wouldn't be
able to hide its "public"/ISP-assigned name (and IP address).

Right, as Tom noted:

    passes through.  In this case it was smtp.gmail.com that added that;
    it's not under your control.  You can probably modify the "Hikaru"

Not sure this is helpful, but for years I've hidden my actual
host I send mail from which is

unix.hobbeshollow.com

by putting the following entries in my mts.conf

localname: hobbeshollow.com
masquerade: draft_from mmailid username_extension

This allows me to send email as jerry@hobbeshollow.com.
hobbeshollow.com is my domain.
I pay a 3rd party to connect for my outbound mail from
hobbeshollow.com a nominal fee annually because ATT turned off
that capability about 18 months ago.

David

https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2021-03/msg00012.html

jerry
--
     // Jerry Heyman               | The first law of economics is scarcity of
    //  Amigan Forever :-)         | resources.  First law of politics, ignore

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 12:10:18 -0500 Jerry Heyman <jerry@hobbeshollow.com> sez: