Re: Hiding one's email source username/hostname/ISP

2021-03-10 02:08:12
(I've combined replies, but used the message ID of Tom's first
reply; hopefully that doesn't break the archive.  B-)

Thank you Tom, David, Krullen, and Ken, for your helpful replies!

Tom:  good point about false-looking Received: headers!  I
definitely want to avoid making my email look even more spammy
than it already is deemed by certain institutions.  B-[  Thanks
also for finding the "clientname" entry in mts.conf -- which I
had previously set to "Hikaru" because, without it, my emails
would use "localhost.localdomain" and look even more spammy.
(This was a fix that folks on this mailing list kindly gave me
back in 2018.  B-)

David:  thanks for the pointer to the "-client" option to
send(1).  (Actually, it's probably a reminder -- I feel like it
was mentioned back when someone gave me the "clientname" fix.)
I do see in the headers of your reply that the first "Received:"
header uses "HiddenHostname" ... but also the FQDM(?) of your
Verizon connection (and its IP address):

             by smtp.gmail.com [...]

So, while I could hide the hostname of my laptop, I wouldn't be
able to hide its "public"/ISP-assigned name (and IP address).

Ken:  I would not be opposed to documenting this particular
undocumented switch, though I can imagine why it was left
undocumented in the first place.

                                Bob

On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 11:14:44 -0500 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> sez:

Bob Carragher <dnc2dnc@gmail.com> writes:
In emails that I send, if you look at the Received: header chain,
you'd find a line that resembles,

            by smtp.gmail.com [...]

passes through.  In this case it was smtp.gmail.com that added that;
it's not under your control.  You can probably modify the "Hikaru"
part, as I believe that just comes from the HELO command your mail
client uses.  I'm not sure which part of the nmh configuration
that comes from, but it can't be too hard to find.

Keep in mind that Received: lines that look falsified in any way
are universally treated as a sure sign of spam.

                      regards, tom lane

On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 11:56:31 -0500 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> sez:

David Levine <levinedl@acm.org> writes:
Tom wrote:
passes through.  In this case it was smtp.gmail.com that added that;
it's not under your control.  You can probably modify the "Hikaru"
part, as I believe that just comes from the HELO command your mail
client uses.  I'm not sure which part of the nmh configuration
that comes from, but it can't be too hard to find.

It derives from the (hidden/undocumented) client switch to send(1).
I'll try sending this message with "send -client HiddenHostname".

Ah.  And after digging around a bit, I found this on my own machine:

$ cat /etc/nmh/mts.conf
# nmh mail transport interface customization file.
# Name shown in HELO header:
clientname: sss1.sss.pgh.pa.us

which you can match up against the first Received: line in my own
outgoing mails.  So that's probably a better place to configure
it than messing directly with send(1) switches.

                      regards, tom lane

On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 20:43:51 -0500 Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com> sez:

It derives from the (hidden/undocumented) client switch to send(1).
I'll try sending this message with "send -client HiddenHostname".

We should document that switch, I think.  Even internal switches probably
should be documented.