Re: Is nmh suitable for managing multiple email accounts?

2021-03-06 20:49:30
The other advice probably covers the simplest routes.  It is possible to
mix and match though: the two points I hacked to get it working are:

  - For sending, you just need to create a custom components file
    (template blank email message with an appropriately-set From: and
    (if you want to archive sent messages) Fcc: folder) for each
    identity, then you can set up aliases to use each.

  - For replying, you can set 'editor' in your .mh_profile to invoke a
    custom script which (prior to invoking your actual editor) will work
    out which identity the email you're replying to is associated with,
    and make patches to the reply's From: and Fcc: headers as necessary.

  - You then need to patch your mail transfer agent (I use exim4) so
    that with different 'From's it sends via different mailhosts.  This
    is not MH's problem, and varies from one MTA to the next.

I use this successfully to mix and match a very large number of distinct
email identities, but it *is* a bit of a bother to set up and most
rational people probably would choose not to.

This setup looks like one that comes from a very experienced email user.
Perhaps I too will someday become a master of email :-)
But for now, I will have to stick to simpler methods even if they are
not the most efficient. I think I will need to learn a lot more, due to
my shaky understanding of email in general.