Re: Is nmh suitable for managing multiple email accounts?

2021-03-06 10:48:36
On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 13:04:43 +0800, Tim Lee <progscriptclone@gmail.com> wrote:

I manage 3 email accounts: my computer's mail inbox (/var/mail/me), a
work email account (work@example.org) and a personal email account
(me@example.net). Can I use nmh to manage all three accounts?

Yes.

I am new to nmh, and I am asking this because I noticed that the entire
book "MH & xmh: Email for Users & Programmers" seems to assume that the
use has only one email account. With Thunderbird and Mutt (or even GNU
Emacs' Gnus), it is easy to manage multiple multiple accounts. Does nmh
have easy support for multiple email accounts? If so, could you give a
high-level overview of how users typically do it?

Welcome aboard!
I assume you want to keep the email from each account separate?
I'm going to describe things that you may already realize, so please
don't be offended.  I'm sure others will chime in to tell me where I'm
wrong :-)  I've been an MH user going on 33yrs.

Start with the realization the nmh is *not* a monolithic email client as
Mutt/Elm/pine.  Each command within the nmh suite is a separate command
line executable.  nmh uses standard unix file structure for folders (which
are directories) and messages (which are stored as files).  There is no
IMAP support, so the email must be received locally to your machine.

In my case, I use fetchmail, and every 5 minutes it downloads my email from
two different servers that I use for my personal email.  Those emails are
co-mingled, so I don't know which email actually received them unless I look
at the headers (which are not displayed by default).  Since you mentioned a
work account, I would think you want to keep those emails separate.

I use a GUI front-end for nmh, called Sylpheed (found at
https://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/) and have been quite happy with it for over
a decade.

Howard Brampton <howard.bampton@gmail.com> wrote:

Using different UNIX accounts ensures 100% separation. You can do
everything under one ID in theory, but you'll spend a lot of effort/time
switching email IDs via different profiles. My opinion is that this will be
error prone unless one has a lot of self discipline.

And I'll second the suggestion.  It is the easiest, cleanest solution and
avoids any possible confusion where you sent a work email via a personal
account *or* sent something personal via your work email.

jerry
--
     // Jerry Heyman               | If you preach hatred and intolerance
    //  Amigan Forever :-)         | towards others, don't then play the