Hiding one's email source username/hostname/ISP

2021-03-07 09:13:12
A bit of Ken's reply on the recent "Is nmh suitable for managing
multiple email accounts?" thread got me wondering about one
aspect of Tim's potential needs -- namely, is there a way to hide
one's username, hostname, and even ISP in the email headers?

Here's the bit from Ken's reply:

On Sat, 06 Mar 2021 16:23:44 -0500 Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com> sez:

[...snip...]
The other school of thought (and obviously the one I subscribe to) is
have nmh automatically figure out where to submit email and let it
do it for you when you run "send".  This is, of cours, assuming that
you are in a situation where you need to submit email to your email
provider's submission host; today that is very common.  There are a
bunch of ways to do that, but the simplest is to use nmh's "sendfrom"
facility.  This is documented in send(1), and the way THIS works is
nmh will automatically add specified switches to the post(8) command
when it finds an appropriate entry in your profile based on your From:
header (send(1) calls post(8) to do the actual sending).  So in your
.mh_profile, you'd have entries like:

sendfrom-user@work.com: -server smtp.work.com -user user@work.com -tls
sendfrom-user@personal.com: -server smtp.personal.com -user user -sasl
[...snip...]

In emails that I send, if you look at the Received: header chain,
you'd find a line that resembles,

        by smtp.gmail.com [...]

(I'm not sure whether the mailing list will strip that out, so
you may or may not see it in this posting.)

"Hikaru" is my laptop's hostname, and Comcast is my ISP (the rest
is the dynamic IP address I'm assigned).

I'd much rather that people only know that I am a Gmail user,
using the "dnc2dnc" account.  I would like to not "leak" the
other information through the Received: chain.  (As far as I can
tell, the username I use to log onto my laptop is not revealed,
but I'll explicitly note that I'd want to hide that too.)

Would one use Ken's suggestion (or similar) to suppress that in
outgoing emails?

Or is there some more basic part of my setup that I should fix,
especially if I wanted to suppress this in _all_ my outbound
emails, and not just ones from a particular account?

Thanks!

                                Bob