Re: smtp authentication problem

2022-02-01 11:52:04
I have lately been trying to use the smtp server offered by BT
Internet, which seems to defeat the authentication of nmh
post. Sundry other muas are fine, including claws and various
smartphone apps (ugh). The tale has been slightly round-about, but I
will try my best to cut to the core and be succinct.
[...]
(tls-decrypted) <= 250-AUTH=LOGIN  [Huh? See below.]

Aw, poop.

So, THIS is an old, OLD pre-SASL mechanism.  And while I was vaguely
aware of it, in the instances where I saw it it was always listed AFTER
the standards-based SASL "AUTH" token.  And so ... I guss we get this
wrong.  I'm not sure it's documented anywhere.  A quick Google suggests
that it is around for compatibility with old clients like Outlook 2003.

Obviously, we should just ignore any AUTH= tokens.  Let me chew on
this a bit and see if I can get you a patch.