perl-unicode

Re: system 'iconv' considered harmful. was: Source data for perl encodings

2001-01-08 17:14:02
Benjamin Franz <snowhare(_at_)nihongo(_dot_)org> writes:

If we are going to tread that path, it would be better to rip core support
for encodings other than the core Unicode standards
(UTF8/UTF16/UTF32/UCS-4/UCS-2) completely out and ship Unicode::Map,
Unicode::Map8, Jcode and Unicode::MapUTF8 in the base distribution
(possibly after XSing them for performance) than that. Better no direct
support for national encodings than automatically and *system dependantly*
broken support.

Ask a silly question - what do Unicode::MapUTF8 & co use as their basis?
If we "trust" those I may as well try and "compile" from same sources.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons