perl-unicode

Re: system 'iconv' considered harmful. was: Source data for perl encodings

2001-01-08 17:18:58
Owen Taylor <otaylor(_at_)redhat(_dot_)com> writes:

- Use the system iconv when it exists and is sufficiently good

So what is Configure supposed to do?

  - Feed a set of files through system's iconv
    and check for correct results?
  - How do I find out what names system iconv is using?

- Use support included with Perl, or an external library such as libiconv
otherwise.

"sufficiently good" could even mean "has the exact same mapping tables as
Perl". It would certainly mean including things like the CJK mapping tables.

This is the approach that Pango and GTK+ take, and works fine.  I
don't really see any reason for when I'm running Perl/GTK+ for it to
load up two copies of the Japanese mapping tables, just because there
is some other operating system that doesn't have Japanese mapping
tables in its libc.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons