perl-unicode

Re: Source data for perl encodings

2001-01-10 15:20:21

Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:58:24 -0600
From: Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi>
(I haven't looked at I18N::Chraset, true, but I can't see how yet
another piece of software could solve the basic problem that we all
need to stick to some common naming of character encodins)

Perl should choose a consistent set. The IANA names are good as far as they go.
See:

http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset.html

for interesting info including a link to the IANA set.

Sometimes it takes awhile for new encodings to be registered with IANA however.
Also, many heavily used encodings have never been registered because they
aren't used in MIME or otherwise on the Internet. There's no standard naming
convention for non-IANA encodings. Every vendor makes up his own. Some vendors
were apparently on drugs when they did.

Probably an aliasing mechanism is required for no other reason than the IANA
registry lists many aliases with each official name. In many cases the aliases
are what is used in real life rather than the supposedly official name.

=Ed

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/