perl-unicode

Transcoding cut & paste

2002-03-10 11:31:51
On 2002.03.11, at 02:46, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
This is what it looks like in Solaris which has UTF-8 locales.
Notice how the last two do not warn (the 0x80 after the 0xc4 has
been destroyed by my cut and paste, though, this is a MacOS 9
terminal program I'm using...)

MacSSH is nice (it even handles EUC-JP) but I hate to launch classic so I use Terminal on MacOS X unless I really need it. Speaking of Terminal, I have found when you cut & paste from Terminal (with encoding UTF-8 as default, with other encodings listed but none of which is useful) to anything, it does not preserve ascii; backslashes are all converted to yen mark! This is annoying as hell. What's so funny is that you can run utf8-savvy xterm on XDarwin and X to Aqua clipboard works -- on Ascii. When you copy non-ascii part then your clipboard becomes '#' times number of characters copied.

Dan the Seeker of Decent Terminal on OSX