perl-unicode

Re: My favorite bug to fix for 5.8.0

2002-03-11 05:09:23
Nick Ing-Simmons <nick(_dot_)ing-simmons(_at_)elixent(_dot_)com> writes:
Markus Kuhn <Markus(_dot_)Kuhn(_at_)cl(_dot_)cam(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> writes:
On systems where langinfo(CODESET) does not work, you can consider to use
the following emulator routine, which extracts encoding names from
environment variables:

 http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/langinfo.c

For perl I think that we would want to treat "C" and "POSIX" as meaning
iso-8859-1 rather than ASCII.

The return values of langinfo(CODESET) are unfortunately not yet
standardized. For UTF-8, fortunately, every known POSIX platform uses
"UTF-8" and nothing else, but there is some variation for older
encodings, and the normalization routine

 http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/norm_charmap.c

Can we have your permision to use those code fragments under perl's license
terms?
--
Nick Ing-Simmons
http://www.ni-s.u-net.com/