perl-unicode

Re: My favorite bug to fix for 5.8.0

2002-03-10 11:36:01
Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote on 2002-03-10 16:45 UTC:
Oh, then there is this in open.pm:

            # Could do more heuristics based on the country and language
            # parts of LC_ALL and LANG (the parts before the dot (if any)),
            # since we have Locale::Country and Locale::Language available.
            # TODO: get a database of Language -> Encoding mappings
            # (the Estonian database at http://www.eki.ee/letter/
            # would be excellent!) --jhi

I've got the said databases stashed somewhere.

My friend Mike Bond likes to say: "To really understand the wheel, you
have to reinvent it". Nevertheless, this LC_* -> MIME charset conversion
has already been done and widely tested

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/langinfo.c

so why not use that? I am interacting with many communities like
yourself (Perl, TCL, Emacs, ...) and they are all facing the exact same
backwards compatibility problems, therefore I decided to maintain such
code for all of them, such that we have a single point for updating the
necessary mappings.

Markus