perl-unicode

Re: CGI and UTF

2002-11-24 16:30:05
On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 10:41:49 -0800 (PST), Benjamin Franz
<snowhare(_at_)nihongo(_dot_)org> said:

  > I'm not Cisco, or the original guy, but here are the reasons I (and as the
  > Admin/Lead Programmer here my position is basically my company's position
  > on this) won't use Perl 5.8.0 for production servers:

  > 1) x.0 release. I haven't seen a x.0 release of _any_ software I was
  >    willing to put the family jewels on without quite a bit of testing
  >    first.

Before 5.8.0 came out, it wasn't clear if there would ever be a 5.6.2.
Since 5.8.0 is out it is pretty clear, 5.6.2 won't happen. This seems
to be in accordance with the fact that 5.8.0 comes with 5 times more
tests than 5.6.1.

IF there is one test missing, YOU probably know which.

  > 2) The very first machine I installed it on immediately had script
  >    breakage _specifically_ because the rather broken (IMHO) behavior
  >    re making the use of either 'use bytes' or 'binmode' mandatory
  >    if you want to get the same filehandle behavior semantics on *nix
  >    boxes that Perl (and virtually all other *nix programs) have had
  >    historically.

  >    "thenkyouverramuch".

:-( Benjamin, please send us your bugreport. WITH the details.
Tänkuvérmaç

  > I should either have been less specific or more correct ...

<|=>

--
andreas