perl-unicode

Re: perlunicode comment - when Unicode does not happen

2003-12-23 05:30:05
Jungshik Shin <jshin(_at_)mailaps(_dot_)org> writes:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

(AFAIK) W2K and later _are able_ to use UTF-16LE encoded Unicode for
filenames,
but because of backward compatibility reasons using 8-bit codepages is
much
more likely.

 No. _Both_ NTFS (only supported by Win 2k/XP) and VFAT (supported by
Win 2k/XP and Win 9x/ME) use UTF-16LE **exclusively**.

But those OSes also support older file systems (e.g. floppies),
and shares where things are not as clear (at least to me).

In that respect,
Windows filesystems are 'saner' than Unix file systems.  APIs for accessing
them come in two flavors, 'A' APIs and 'W' APIs, though as I explained
in another message of mine.

In that message you mentioned a .dll - should perl look for and
link to that DLL ?