perl-unicode

Re: perlunicode comment - when Unicode does not happen

2003-12-23 01:30:03
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

(AFAIK) W2K and later _are able_ to use UTF-16LE encoded Unicode for
filenames,
but because of backward compatibility reasons using 8-bit codepages is
much
more likely.

  No. _Both_ NTFS (only supported by Win 2k/XP) and VFAT (supported by
Win 2k/XP and Win 9x/ME) use UTF-16LE **exclusively**. In that respect,

(and that's probably well docum^Wpatented by Microsoft... :-)

   Well, the _internals_ of NTFS and VFAT are not well documented (and
is probably patented as well) so that NTFS developers for Linux kernel
have to reverse-engineer it. However, APIs for 'casually' accesing them
(including the fact they use 'Unicode' with their use of 'Unicode' usually
meaning UTF-16LE or at least UCS-2LE) are documented well enough afaik.

(How about CIFS?)

  I believe it, too,  uses UTF-16LE (or at least UCS-2). Samba developers
will know that well.

 FYI, Mac OS X 10.3 (or 10.2) or later has APIs for the conversion
between NFC and NFD.

I'm not worried about the various Unicode APIs being available.

  I just mentioned it because even on Mac OS X, you have to do
things differently (before 10.2 and after 10.2). After 10.2(?), you
can rely on OS APIs while before that you have to roll your own.

  Jungshik