perl-unicode

Re: perlunicode comment - when Unicode does not happen

2003-12-25 04:30:06

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

locale. Why does Perl have to be held responsible for your intentional
act that is bound to break things?

Whoa!  It's the other way round here.  Nick is using a locale that suits
him for other reasons (e.g. getting time and data formats in proper
British ways), but why should he be constrained not to use for his
filenames  whatever he wants?

  Then, he should switch to en_GB.UTF-8. Besides, he implied that
he still uses ISO-8859-1 for files whose names can be covered by
ISO-8859-1, which is why I wrote about mixing up two encodings
in a single file system _under_ his control.

  Moreover, why would you think that en_GB.UTF-8 locale gives him the
time and date format NOT suitable for him? You're making a mistake of
binding locale and encoding. Encoding should never be a part of the
locale definition. The fact that it is on Unix is just an artifact of
Unix file system and we want to leave it behind us if possible. Of course,
we have to live with that for a long while to come, unfortunately.

  Well, actually, if your WinXP file system has only characters covered
by Windows-1252,

And how would Nick know that, or he could he guarantee that, if the
Windows share is in multiuser use?

  Of course, he can't. That's why I wrote 'if'.

PLEASE, PEOPLE: stop thinking of this in terms of an environment
controlled
solely by one user.

  Before writing that, please read the man page of 'smbmount' and
'mount' if Linux system is available to you. They're not environment
variables.

  Jungshik