perl-unicode

Re: perlunicode comment - when Unicode does not happen

2003-12-25 04:30:07
On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

What I wish is that the whole current locale system would curl up and
die.

  As you'd agree, it's only 'encoding' part that has to die. Everybody
should switch to UTF-8 on Unix and end-users should never worry about
'encoding'.  In an ideal world, 'encoding' would never be a part of
'locale'.  We're getting there although very slowly.

  nl_langinfo(CODESET) is rather well supported where it's
available (i.e. SUS-compliant modern Unix platforms).

That's not good enough for Perl.  Perl must also deal with
non-SUS-compliant older UNIX or -like platforms.

  Sure, I'm well aware of that. Otherwise, I'd not have gone on to
mention gnulib and such.

  Jungshik