perl-unicode

Re: perlunicode comment - when Unicode does not happen

2003-12-25 08:30:06

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

What I wish is that the whole current locale system would curl up and
die.

  As you'd agree, it's only 'encoding' part that has to die.

Oh no, there are plenty of parts in it that I wish would die :-)

 Wishing it to die is different from finding a lot of defects
that you want to fix, isn't it? Sure, there are a lot of
things that can be done better. For quite a lot of them (not
all of them) ICU offers solutions.

< list of things to fix ..... snipped>

Everybody should switch to UTF-8 on Unix

Yes.  UTF-8 and NFD, I would say.

  As much as I like NFD (well, I'd like it even better if
Korean NFD hadn't been  made permanenlty broken between Unicode 2.x and
3.0), I don't think people will ever agree on NFD part.

  Jungshik