perl-unicode

Re: perlunicode comment - when Unicode does not happen

2003-12-23 09:30:08
 I don't see how introducing a new LC_* would help here. Whether

Limit the mess of CTYPE controlling Yet Another Feature.

it's LC_CTYPE or LC_FILENAME, the problem is still there.

to and from the codeset returned by 'nl_langinfo(CODESET)'.

Don't get me started how suckily and brokenly nl_langinfo() is supported
across platforms :-) Well, CODESET may be on the average better supported.
May.

Directly inspecting LC_CTYPE or other environment variables is a BAD idea

I can optimize that for ya: s/Directly inspecting/Using/ :-)

The same is true of 'unicode'.  On Mac OS X, locale, native and unicode
would mean all the same (UTF-8). As for 'normalization', I have to think
more about it. And so on......  I've been just thinking aloud so that
you have to bear with some incoherency.

I think incoherency is the key word in this area.

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special