perl-unicode

Re: perlunicode comment - when Unicode does not happen

2003-12-23 12:30:08
But those OSes also support older file systems (e.g. floppies),
and shares where things are not as clear (at least to me).

  In cases of floppy (FAT), I guess we're just back to old days :-)
In case of CIFS, I really have to check. Then, even Windows supports
(although not free) NFS and other file sharing ... things become fuzzy.....

I can give a real life example of how easy it's to get fuzzy.  At work I
have a pretty common setup of having a Linux laptop that mounts Windows
shares using Samba and Solaris directories using NFS. How does one control what Unicode filenames is my Perl process that runs in my laptop creating and seeing by using just one locale setting, well, that would be a neat trick.

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special